MSO11634 - Undated building platforms at Timberscombe Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two small sub-rectangular banked enclosures just northeast of Timberscombe Quarry. [1,2] Presumably associated with the quarry.  The area in question, to the northeast of Timberscombe Quarry, and centred at SS 959 421, contains evidence of quarrying. The area is now used for stabling etc, and a collection of sheds and barns occupy various platforms and scoops. A rectangular platform 10 by 5 by 1 metres lies at SS 9594 4211; this may well be one of the features identified from air photographs. The other is probably at SS 9594 4222, a sub-rectangular scoop now occupied by barns. Three old quarry pits lie to the east, ranged along the track, at SS 9597 4210, 9603 4210 and 9607 4211. These features are recorded as old quarries or old gravel pits in 1889 . 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3196.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS3542B. [Mapped feature: #46445 McDonnell's plotting, SS9542B]
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. E Dennison, 17 May 1984.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 35 (13). [Mapped features: #46449 SMO7322 "Rectangular Scoop"; SEM6703 "Old Quarry", ; #46450 "Old Gravel Pit", ; #46451 "Old Gravel Pit", ; #46452 "Old Gravel Pit", ]
- <5> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9600 4210 (157m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119538 (Pastscape entry: 1119538)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE70
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119538
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34135
Record last edited
Jan 14 2020 2:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.