MSO11625 - Post-medieval ponds southeast of Bickham (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Great Woodclose Pond" and "Hill Pond" are marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, showing as two ponds with dams. [1,2] Possibly mill ponds to provide a head of water for the waterwheel at Bickham (MSO11624) or may be fishponds.  Both ponds are depicted on the Timberscombe Tithe Map.  The ponds are also labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM8092 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Annotated corrections on Ordnance Survey map. As specified. 1962 6 inch map, SS94SW and SS94SE.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 16 May 1984.
- <4> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped features: #41717 Hill Pond, ; #41718 Great Woodclose Pond, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9506 4127 (311m by 439m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34125
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.