MSO11619 - Post-medieval stone southeast of Knowle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Stone" printed on 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  No further information.  Not located by Fowler, but listed as a possible standing stone.  It no longer survives in an area of pasture and its original purpose is unclear; perhaps a rubbing stone.  The stone is also noted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, but not on modern MasterMap data. [5-7] The stone is omitted from the 1974 Ordnance Survey map.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS94SE.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, [?1.19] 1985.
- <3> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Timberscombe 1).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 January 1990.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 864019, Extant 19 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 9641 4269 (point) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8312
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8326
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE63
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE88
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1119500
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 864019
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34119
Record last edited
May 19 2022 12:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.