MSO11606 - Goodleys deserted farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Local tradition of a village here destroyed by "the plague". There are the remains of a large barn, linhay and cottage. There was probably no more than a farm on the site.  Named "Goodley barn" on Ordnance Survey 25" map.  Two buildings are shown on Ordnance Survey 6" map.  Roofless 19th Century stone cottage with traces of garden wall at ST06923585. Large oven on northwest gable. There are also barns and overgrown enclosure banks.  The farm is also labelled "Goodley Barn" on the 1809 1" Ordnance Survey map.  Goodley was a property of the Templars before their suppression in 1312. It survived as a hamlet in 1597.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the barn to the south (ST 0687 3576) as Goodly Barn. The building at ST 0693 3587 also appears to still be extant.  The 1842 Tithe Map for Stogumber shows two buildings in the south area but these are built on the same alignment. The northern building also appears to be shown on the map within its enclosure. 
- <1> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 99.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 40(13).
- <3> SSO1763 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1979. ST03NE. 15.
- <4> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 114, 119, 121.
- <5> SSO1564 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 6" sheet 48SW.
- <6> SSO844 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 16.10.85. Somerset County Council.
- <7> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1" 1809.
- <8> SMO5316 Monograph: Dunning, R. W. (editor). 1985. A History of the County of Somerset. Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. 5. 178, 184.
- <9> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Cal Close Rolls 1330-3 514.
- <10> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <11> SEM7939 Map: Standidge & Co, London. 1842. Stogumber Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0693 3579 (200m by 216m)|
|Civil Parish||STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188345 (Original Monarch entry: 188345)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8148
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188345
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34030
Record last edited
Sep 23 2015 2:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.