MSO11500 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow at Twitchen Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A disturbed round barrow on a false crest at this location, now kidney shaped.  SS 820 477. The reference falls near the top of Twitchen Combe at above 395 metres above Ordnance Datum on gently sloping ground at the western end of Twitchen Plain Hill. The area is shown as open moorland on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  but has been ploughed and is now pasture. No trace of this alleged round barrow was seen. 
- <1>XY SSO1054 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 20/11/1980. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council. H Eardley Wilmott to Somerset County Council, 20 November 1980. [Mapped feature: #46935 ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 33(3).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 November 1995.
|Grid reference||SS 820 477 (point)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7769
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW25
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1106974
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33877
Record last edited
Jan 25 2021 4:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.