MSO11483 - Southwestern Bronze Age barrow at Outer Alcott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Oare 10. One of 3 circular mounds on Outer Alcott, 6 paces diameter and 1.5ft high with a hollow in the centre.  SS 8223 4471. Circular mound 0.3 to 0.4 metres high, composed of peat and stones. Probably a small bowl barrow. (See G.Ps. AO/65/175/5-8). Surveyed at 1/2500. [2,3] Plotted at SS 8226 4475 on OS 1:10,000 map rather than at SS 8223 4471 given by OSAD and Grinsell.  A group of three prehistoric barrows centred at SS 8230 4488. All have been disturbed, probably as a result of World War Two activity in the area. There is a discrepancy between the locations of the barrows on the published Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map and the National Grid References (NGRs) given by . The published locations are accepted here (with 's NGRs in brackets). Barrow 3 lies in heather and is centred at SS 8226 4474 (SS 8223 4471). The southwesternmost barrow is a turf covered, stony mound 7 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high, with a central disturbance.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  Depicted and labelled as a Tumulus on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. 37.
- <2> SSO1721 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84SW. 26.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. GH Pitcher, F1, 8 July 1965.
- <4> SSO986 Verbal communication: Dennison, E.. 17.04.84. Somerset County Council staff comments.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigtaion, 11 December 1995.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36278, Extant 12 July 2021.
- <7>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47371 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8226 4474 (11m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36278 (Original Monarch entry: 36278)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7754
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW26
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36278
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33860
Record last edited
Jul 12 2021 9:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.