MSO11478 - Barrow, Stent Hill, Oare (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Bowl barrow 10 paces diameter and 2.5 ft high (Oare 9). The NE side has been eroded by a track.  Small barrow 0.7 m high.  Plotted and marked "tumulus" on OS 1:10,000 map at SS83824740 rather than at SS83804737 or SS83844737 given by Grinsell and OSAD.  The SW half of a heather covered stony mound about 7.5m NW-SE by 3.5m and of 0.7m maximum height. There are the remains of a tree stump in the centre. A track cutting through the east side has destroyed any trace of the eastern half. In its present state it is impossible to confirm that this mound is a cairn but based on its situation, its similarity and its proximity to PRN 33854 it is most probably the mutilated remains of a cairn. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 37.
- <2> SSO1710 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84NW. 9.
- <3> SSO986 Verbal communication: Dennison, E.. 17.04.84. Somerset County Council staff comments.
- <4> SSO1443 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 SS84NW.
- <5> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 84 NW 9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 83828 47398 (16m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33855
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.