MSO11478 - Bronze Age round cairn on Stent Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8386 4737 Tumuli.  Oare 9. At SS 8380 4737 is a bowl barrow 10 paces across by 2 1/2 feet high. The northeastern part has been worn down by a track.  SS 8383 4737. Small barrow 0.7 metres high.  Plotted and marked "tumulus" on OS 1:10,000 map at SS 8382 4740 rather than at SS 8380 4737 or SS 8384 4737 given by Grinsell and Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. [4,5] SS 8380 4739. One of two round cairns situated at about 370 metres above Ordnance Datum, in heather moorland between two coniferous plantations on a gentle northeast facing slope on Stent Hill. SS 83826 47394 Down the slope some 45 metres due east of MSO11477 is the southwestern half of a heather covered stony mound about 7.5 metres northwest to southeast by 3.5 metres and of 0.7 metres maximum height. There are the remains of a tree stump in the centre. A track cutting through the east side has destroyed any trace of this eastern half. In its present state it is impossible to confirm that this mound is a cairn but based on its situation, its similarity and its proximity to MSO11477 it is most probably the mutilated remains of a cairn.
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 37.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 13 July 1965.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 17 April 1984.
- <5> SSO1443 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 SS84NW.
- <6> SEM7412 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. SS 8347.
- <7>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 November 1995. [Mapped feature: #46939 ]
|Grid reference||SS 8382 4739 (point)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7741
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW9
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35902
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33855
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 2:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.