MSO11477 - Barrow, Stent Hill, Oare (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Bowl barrow 8 paces diameter and 2 ft high, almost on Porlock-Oare parish boundary (Oare 8).  Small barrow 0.7 m high.  Marked "tumulus" on OS 1:10,000 map.  A well preserved cairn visible as a heather covered stony mound about 7.2m in diameter and 0.8m maximum height. Probing revealed a content of consolidated small stones and a small erosion in the north east also exposes the stone content. A large earthfast stone, about 0.5m by 0.4m and 0.1m thick laid some 2m outside the SW perimeter may have come from the cairn. It may be a displaced kerb stone thought no others are evident. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 37.
- <2> SSO1710 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84NW. 9.
- <3> SSO1443 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 SS84NW.
- <4> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 84 NW 9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 83780 47387 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33854
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.