MSO11475 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Twitchen Plain (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
At SS 8260 4756 is a low circular mound situated in a pasture field reclaimed from what was recently woodland. It is possibly a barrow though it is small in comparison with other barrows nearby. See G.Ps. AO/65/180/1 & 2. Surveyed at 1/2500. [1-3] Marked "tumulus" on 1975 Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map.  The barrow is regularly mown but this does not seem to damage it in any way. The mound is only 0.5 metres high but seems generally in good condition.  In private ownership  SS 82595 47576. The ploughed down remains of a cairn visible as a circular turf covered stony rise about 7.5 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres maximum height. It is prominently situated in a pasture field, some 412 metres above Ordnance Datum at the centre of the summit ridge of Twitchen Plain Hill. Quarter Barrow lies about 210 metres to the east end of this ridge and another barrow lies about 200 metres to the west. In 1889 this area was covered in thick coniferous woodland and, although this site is not depicted on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  as are the other barrows, undoubtedly this is also a prehistoric burial cairn. [7-9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO1462 Photograph: Palmer, R.. 1965. POSSIBLE BARROW AT OARE FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F180/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <2> SMO1463 Photograph: Palmer, R.. 1965. POSSIBLE BARROW AT OARE FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F180/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Mid 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 27 July 1965.
- <4> SSO1443 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 SS84NW.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 14 October 1986.
- <6> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <8> SEM7412 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 November 1995. [Mapped feature: #46122 ]
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35911, Extant 22 February 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8259 4757 (point)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35911 (Pastscape entry: 35911)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7743
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW12
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35911
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33852
Record last edited
Feb 22 2022 11:11AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.