MSO11443 - Medieval field system west of Little Hill Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Enclosures seen on aerial photographs. Banks on Higher Allers forming small enclosures which may be field boundaries. [1-3] Currently under improved pasture. Some lynchetting is visible at SS 9460 4600.  The field system is not depicted on the earliest OS mapping of the area.  A possible field system is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork bank or lynchet, to the south of Bratton village at approximately SS 9460 4596, Minehead Without parish. The visible bank follows a very irregular course, following the contour of the hill to the southwest of Little Hill Plantation before turning sharply east to ascend the spur of this hill. At the crest of the hill it doglegs to the north before abutting the extant field boundary on the western edge of Little Hill Plantation. It is probable that the monument as visible on the aerial photographs available to the NMP survey is incomplete, but its irregular and somewhat curvilinear form may support an interpretation as medieval in origin. [6,7]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. 106G/UK/1655 3011 (July 1946).
- <2> SSO244 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 35. 8744.
- <3> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. SS9445A; SS9446A.
- <4> SEM7729 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1802. Ordnance Survey drawing 42 part 1 - Minehead 16. 3 inch : 1 Mile (1:21,120). Pen and Ink.
- <5> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2665 0080-81 (8 January 1959).
- <7>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #46817 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9457 4597 (223m by 146m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO684
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO7644
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW37
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119078
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33817
Record last edited
Nov 18 2020 4:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.