MSO11442 - Bratton Mill Pond (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
First mentioned in c1279 when it was already well established and again in 1349 and 1507. Mill appears to have failed soon after 1700.  Situated in a field called "Mill Meadow". Two large mill ponds visible, now marsh. Dry leat partly built up with stone work. Silted wheel pit. Had overshot wheel of about 14 feet by 3 feet. Gudgeon from axle in situ. No trace of mill buildings except wall to side of wheel pit.  Road called Bratton Mill Lane on 1904 Ordnance Survey map running between Bratton and Woodcombe.  There is a building shown on the modern Ordnance Survey at SS 9470 4617 called "Bratton Mill" but this is not shown on the earlier maps and appears to be a modern house using the name. The lane is now much shorter and only reaches this house.  "Bratton Mill (Ruin)" is labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 9511 4620.  The mill is shown on the Tithe Map and labelled 745 (described as "Bratton Mill etc". One of the associated ponds upstream is shown at SS 9496 4619 and is labelled 751a ("Mill Pond etc"). The complex was owned by the Earl of Lovelance and occupied by William Tucker.  The mill complex is outside the National Park boundary and is recorded on the Somerset HER as PRN 33816 (see External Links below); however, the mill pond at SS 9496 4619 is just within the Park boundary. [7,8]
- <1> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 29-30.
- <2> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 2 December 1977.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, 34(8).
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, 10 November 2003.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46818 ]
- <6> SSO300 Map: 1843. Minehead Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 745, 751a.
- <7> SEM8552 Archive: South West Heritage Trust. 1977-. Somerset Historic Environment Record. PRN 33816.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 18 November 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9495 4618 (67m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/33816 (Somerset HER entry: PRN 33816)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7643
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW46
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119011
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33816
Record last edited
Nov 18 2020 5:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.