MSO11357 - Possible undated circular enclosure on Wilmersham Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A circular enclosure was seen on aerial photographs, with its southeast side cut by a trackway. [1,2] Not located during fieldwork.  The indicated area lies on a fairly steep northwest facing, heather covered moorland slope at c. 398 metres Ordnance Datum. No evidence of this cropmark was seen either on the ground or on available aerial photographs. The Western Archaeological Trust aerial photographs were not available for dimensioning the cropmark. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8542h.
- <2> SSO202 Aerial photograph: May 1977. ENP MAM IRFC. 13/102.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, Somerset County Council, 3 May 1979.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 March 1987.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8587 4206 (78m by 77m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36114 (Pastscape entry: 36114)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7362
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE55
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36114
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33713
Record last edited
Mar 4 2020 3:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.