MSO11319 - Post-medieval corn mill in Tarr Ball Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Stoke Mill and its associated outbuildings are clearly shown on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] No remains of mill building. Leat traceable from SS 864 446. Elevation of site suggests an overshot wheel.  Nothing shown on OS 1:10,000 map. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 24 November 1974.
- <4> SSO1444 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 SS84SE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8653 4475 (240m by 228m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7368
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE67
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36141
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33674
Record last edited
Oct 7 2014 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.