MSO11289 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow on Hoar Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Flat topped circular mound 0.6m high at SS 858 404. Composed mostly of soil. [1,2] At SS 8584 4029. Perhaps a field clearance mound.  A turf covered circular mound, possibly a round barrow lies on level ground at 413 metres Ordnance Datum in enclosed improved pasture at SS 8584 4029. It is 6.8 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high with a flattish top which has a slight central depression. It appears to be entirely composed of soil although one or two small stones protrude from the mound; its fringes have been disturbed, especially on the north east side, but there is no evidence of kerbing. A number of small drainage ditches lie to the west and east. This feature is presumably that noted by McDonnell although there is a discrepancy of 100 metres in the NGR.  McDonnell's sketch plan shows that his grid reference is incorrect by 100 metres north. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, site visit report, 10 February 1981 (with sketch plan).
- <2> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 126 (1982), 62.
- <3> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 131 (1987) Somerset Barrows: revisions 1971-87, 22 (LV Grinsell).
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 March 1987.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Somerset HER, 29 November 2005.
|Grid reference||SS 8583 4029 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36061 (Pastscape entry: 36061)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6718
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36061
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33631
Record last edited
Oct 7 2014 1:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.