MSO11264 - Adit, Newland, Exford (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Adit at SS82333860 facing N on S side of valley running into hill N-S.  Was part of the Newland mining operations.  "Adit" marked on OS 1:10,000 map but not on OSAD 6" map.  The adit is in good condition and consists of a triangular opening 1.1m across anf 0.5m high. The passage could be seen dipping some 8m into the hillside. A length of tramrail is visible inside. A gully 2.9m wide and 1.0m deep leads from the adit but has been crossed by a later leat. No spoil heap is visible. 
- <1> SSO754 Unassigned: Aston, M. 06.01.77. Somerset County Council.
- <2> SSO929 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 04.02.83.
- <3> SSO1438 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1979. 1:10,000 SS83NW.
- <4> SSO1611 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83NW.
- <5> SSO1828 Unassigned: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey.
|Grid reference||SS 8236 3864 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33605
Record last edited
Oct 28 2009 11:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.