MSO11259 - Modern clearance cairn on Orchard Bottom (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A cairn 13 metres in diameter forms a flat topped platform 65 metres down slope of the prehistoric standing stone (MSO11260). Built of medium sized stones and 0.3 metres high. [1,2] Very doubtful.  Centred at SS 8204 4015 in an improved pasture field, is an amorphous, subrectangular, stony spread measuring 10.2 metres by 6.5 metres, and 0.3 metres high. It is most likely to be a modern clearance cairn similar to other features in the immediate vicinity.  The grid reference in  should presumably be SS 8204 4115. 
- <1>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, 1981. [Mapped feature: #46152 ]
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 62.
- <3> SSO1821 Article in serial: Quinell, NV. 1987. quoted in Grinsell, LV "Somerset Barrows: revisions 1971-87". Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 131. 22.
- <4> SSO635 Map: 1995. SS84SW. 53.
- <5>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Somerset HER, 9 September 2002. [Mapped feature: #46152 ]
|Grid reference||SS 8204 4115 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36312 (Pastscape entry: 36312)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6738
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW53
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36312
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33600
Record last edited
Jun 18 2019 2:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.