MSO11252 - Undated cropmark southwest of Pennycombe Valley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8297 3723. "Cropmark" written on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map.  No further information.  The feature is included on McDonnell's aerial transcriptions dating from the 1980s. It appears to be the feature he describes as "Dark mound (?) with surrounding lighter area (bonfire?)". This requires confirmation. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1611 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83NW.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, 30 November 1976.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3319 (April 1947).
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8237h.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35761, Extant 23 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8296 3722 (27m by 34m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35761 (Pastscape entry: 35761)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6715
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35761
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33593
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 4:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.