MSO11189 - Hill Barn, Cutcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Small enclosures and pond shown on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map - site of abandoned barn.  Marked "Hill Barn (Barn)" on Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.  Rectangular roofless building in small square enclosure with short curving bank. [3-5] Only earthworks remain at the site - there is a pond with a substantial platform next to it and the vague outlines of the barn shown as just a few courses of stone.  Hill Barn is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch mapping of 1888. A three celled barn is depicted between two hedged paddocks or yards, one to the north, one to the south. At the southern end of the the latter is a large pond.  The remains of Hill Barn are as described above. They seem to represent a former outfarm, probably associated with the enclosing of Harwood Brakes.  In private ownership 
- <1> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 46(3).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9240.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4298.
- <5> SSO256 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 93. 8729.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 9 October 1987.
- <7>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 46(3). [Mapped feature: #46612 ]
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 July 1997.
- <9> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9240 4067 (45m by 62m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086588 (Pastscape entry: 1086588)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9249
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW46
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086588
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33519
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 4:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.