MSO11174 - Possible lime kiln in Oaktrow Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Limekiln, possibly associated with Oaktrow Quarry to the south.  Not marked on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division or 6 inch or Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd Edition maps. [2,3] No limekiln was found around the National Grid Reference. It may be that the source which refers to "a limekiln possibly associated with Oaktrow Quarry to the south"  actually refers to the limekiln at SS 9393 4080 (MSO11617), and implies that this kiln was associated with Oaktrow Quarry. 
- <1>XY SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. J Hardwick, Somerset County Council, 1 November 1977. [Mapped feature: #46662 ]
- <2> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 46(4).
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1998.
|Grid reference||SS 9390 4040 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086585 (Pastscape entry: 1086585)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9248
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW45
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086585
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33504
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 11:20AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.