MSO11166 - North Combe Farmstead, Cutcombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Building shown on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map which is a barn.  Now ruined.  Farm shown as occupied in 1842. Other buildings and walls removed recently. Farm approached by holloway and terraced way from ford. Situated facing south where springs emerged at the head of the valley.  The site is depicted and labelled as North Combe on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  A single building is depicted at SS 9182 4058 on 2020 MasterMap data. The site is still labelled North Combe. 
- <1> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, 10 December 1976.
- <3> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 91.
- <4> SSO243 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run. 8688.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4299.
- <6> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. SS9140.
- <7>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #34328 ]
- <8> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9180 4057 (181m by 97m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086582 (Pastscape entry: 1086582)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9247
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW44
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086582
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33496
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 10:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.