MSO11149 - West Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"West Mill, corn" on OS 1904 map.  "West Mill" printed on OS 1965 map.  Was recently modernised - the wheel on the west wall has been removed and only spindle remains.  A pit was extant in 1977. Leat from SS90663865 at Luckwell Bridge silted up.  Holloway runs from the ford eastwards (SS91523865), which is a continuation of the track from Wheddon Cross, to the mill. Shown as a track on 1904 map.  Old site numbers 3\8\72 and 3\8\79 referred to this mill but were was wrongly located in Scottiscombe Wood 1km to the W. 
- <1> SSO1496 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 1:2500 sheet 46:11.
- <2> SSO1574 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1965. 6" sheet SS93NW.
- <3> SSO790 Unassigned: Aston, M. 6.1.1977. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO1991 Unassigned: Warren, D Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society. 24.11.1977.
- <5> SSO768 Verbal communication: Aston, M. 14.11.1977. Somerset County Council.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Dennison E, SCPD.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9085 3864 (386m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089123 (Original Monarch entry: 1089123)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9260
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089123
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33479
Record last edited
May 22 2013 11:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.