MSO11112 - Cropmark north of Redcross Farm, Brompton Regis (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Somerset SMR records a cropmark from aerial photographs, north of Redcross Farm, at SS 9437 3095. This is in the form of two large subcircular features and a rectangular shape. [1, 2] There is no field evidence for this possible feature; the field is level and is under improved pasture.  The features described above, were clearly visible on the Somerset County Council photographs  as well as several sorties held by the Exmoor National Park Authority. The rectangular feature is the footings for a modern (temporary) building and the circular parch marks are considered also be modern, possibly relating to the site being used as a venue for a horse/agricultural show. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9430.
- <2> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8759.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. Riley H/1997/RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENP 1981/IRFC 8758-9 18-AUG-1981.
- <5> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <6> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 93 SW 14.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9436 3092 (154m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1094998 (Original Monarch entry: 1094998)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO582
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8876
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1094998
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33409
Record last edited
Dec 13 2012 4:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.