MSO11099 - Post-medieval mill at Machine Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
The remains of an 18th Century watermill attached to Machine Court. Barn now gutted by fire. A covered wheel pit measured 18 feet and was perhaps an overshot wheel. Long leat from Machine Weir (SS 9341 2817) through the mill to south of Helebridge Weir at SS 9330 2760. Now largely silted up. The mill is known to have been used as a corn mill.  Two small buildings are shown at c. SS 9348 2772 on the Tithe Map for Kings Brompton. There is a square building to the south and an L shaped one to the north. They are sited within a small land parcel labelled 1576, described as "barn coutlage barton etc" as part of Hele-Bridge Farm, owned by the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by William Dobbs. There is no leat depicted on the map.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was produced, the site had been much enlarged, with a series of buildings set around the east, south and west sides of a yard having been constructed. It is not clear to what extent these incorporate the remains of those structures shown on the Tithe Map but it seems the mill occupies the west of the court. The weir is clearly depicted on this map. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition Map. [3,4] The weir and probable mill building are still extant on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 24 November 1977.
- <2> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 1576.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9339 2785 (163m by 506m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114353 (Pastscape entry: 1114353)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8879
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW20
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1114353
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33396
Record last edited
Aug 31 2016 11:57AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.