MSO11094 - Hartford Corn Mill, Hartford, Brompton Regis (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
'Hartford Corn Mill' is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map. (1) 'Hartford Corn Mill, (Disused)' is marked on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map. (2) The mill is now a dwelling, but there are remains of a wood trough. It had an overshot wheel. The leat ran from the Pulham River. (3) The leat runs east of the road. The mill is possibly associated with the shrunken hamlet at Hartford and may be on the site of an earlier medieval fulling mill. (4) Hartford Mill has a large water wheel. (5)
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904. Sheet 58(13).
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Warren, D. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 21/11/1977.
- <4> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS92NE12. 1985.
- <5> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.137.
- <6> SEM7819 Report: Adkins, L. + Adkins, R.A.. 1993. Wimbleball Pumped Storage, Haddeo Route: Archaeological Assessment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9593 2927 (15m by 13m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33391
Record last edited
Mar 1 2012 5:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.