MSO11086 - Natural standing stone on Storridge Hill (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two stones 3 inches apart (or one stone spilt by weathering), 30 inches high and 16 inches wide. Situated in thick fern. [1,2] The stone is 0.7 metres high and 0.45 metres square in section. It leans slightly to the west and appears to be a single block with a natural east to west fracture. It lies on a ridge of outcrop within a pasture field, with a disused quarry some 50 metres to the southwest. It is probably not a prehistoric monument. The national grid reference was originally erroneously given as SS 944 302. [4,5] A large leaning sandstone block measuring 0.8 x 0.45 x 0.4m with a lamination split down the centre of the stone (Northern half: 0.8 x 0.26 x 0.4; Southern half: 0.8 x 0.16 x 0.4). While it is unlikely prehistoric, the stone has been deliberately set in the field, and has some loose (likely recent) rubble packed around the base. It is most likely a rubbing stone, due to its placement in an improved pasture field. It may also be related to the nearby quarry. Despite the lean and central split, the stone is very well set and stable, animal rubbing has created a slight hollow around the stone, but it remains very well-set and stable. 
- <1> SSO1743 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1971. SS93SW. 5.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Letter, WJ Corney, Exmouth, Devon, 16 August 1971.
- <3> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Brompton Regis 3).
- <4> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS92NW32, p34.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 January 1990.
- <6> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO11086.
|Grid reference||SS 94619 29951 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36711 (Pastscape entry: 36711)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=863928 (Pastscape entry: 863928)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8852
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8862
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW34
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36711
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 863928
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33383
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33383
Record last edited
Dec 17 2018 1:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.