MSO11060 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Great Buscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Subcircular stony mound 6 metres diameter and 0.4 metres high situated on northeastern facing slope of the southern crest of Trout Hill. Its position near the high east to west ridge suggests it may be a funerary monument. [1,2] A prehistoric cairn on the northeastern slopes of Great Buscombe is visible as a turf covered stony mound 5.2 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. The surface of which is uneven suggesting disturbance, althought the mound appears intact.  A small circular mound is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the northeastern slopes of Great Buscombe, Exmoor. It measures approximately 5 metres in diameter, and is situated in a prominent position close to the summit of Great Buscombe. It most likely represents a Bronze Age funerary monument, probably a cairn. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The cairn is depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33199.
- <2> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 60 (site 261).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 June 1994.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 937-38 (29 April 1973).
- <5> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1101800, Extant 1 June 2021.
- <7>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47245 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7872 4165 (15m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO610
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6906
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE75
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1101800
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33199
Record last edited
Jun 1 2021 10:28AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.