MSO11053 - Undated grassmarks at Birch Cleave (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A small group of grass marked ditches and banks were visible on aerial photographs taken in 1947, along with possible building remains. [1, 2] SS 7796 3949. A building is alleged at this location, however no trace could be detected during field investigation. The location given is an area of rough pasture land with at least one slight amorphous platform but is too indistinct to allow confident measurement or interpretation.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. N.B. It appears an incorrect grid reference was provided to the RCHME, leading to a site over 100 metres to the north being investigated in error. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . LHL CPE/UK/1980 3454 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 7739. [Mapped feature: #46568 ]
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 October 1994.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1099611, Extant 22 November 2021.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7798 3934 (148m by 127m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6922
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE28
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1099611
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33192
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 4:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.