MSO11052 - The Fortescue Monument at Drybridge Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small mound is located in line with a bank from former mining activity.  This feature is marked as a "Cairn" on the 1980 Ordnance Survey mapping.  This is annotated as "Monument" on more recent Ordnance Survey maps.  This is the Fortescue Monument, often known as the Fortescue cairn; it is a 20th Century memorial to Sir John William Fortescue (1859 -1938). He was a statesman, military historian and a naturalist writer, the author of 'The Story of a Red Deer'. The Fortescue family owned the Exmoor estate until the 1990s. [5, 6] The plaque reads "JOHN WILLIAM FORTESCUE / HISTORIAN OF THE BRITISH ARMY / 1859 - 1933".  The cairn is shown on modern MasterMap data.  The cairn is visible on aerial photographs taken in 2021 as a substantial stone structure. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7537.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. LHL CPE/UK/1980 3451 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000. SS73NE.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, 31 January 2001.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. R Wilson-North, Exmoor National Park Archaeologist, 1 February 2001.
- <6> SEM7997 Monograph: Siraut, M.. Royal Forest, Exmoor: A guide to the Royal Forest of Exmoor. Exmoor National Park Authority. 35.
- <7> SEM8532 Report: Blaylock, S.. 2017. Historic buildings survey of Simonsbath House Hotel, Simonsbath, Exmoor. DSC_5466-5468, 6227, 6228, 6230, 6233, Photographic archive.
- <8> SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap.
- <9>XY SEM341018 Aerial photograph: Aerial Photography for Great Britain. 2021. Vertical aerial photography. [Mapped feature: #47995 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7596 3802 (6m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33191
Record last edited
Jun 14 2022 12:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.