MSO11035 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary on Ware Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a substantial bank with ditch on the north and western side running from River Exe across Ware Ball. It predates the 19th Century field system. Varies between 1.5 metres and 0.5 metres high and is 4 to 5 metres wide. Ditches are shallow. [1-5] The remains of a substantial boundary bank on Ware Ball, Exmoor parish, are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The boundary is overlain by, and therefore probably predates, the extant field system of probable 19th Century origin. The visible boundary is circa 660 metres long, centred on circa SS 8081 4051. On the steeper south facing slopes of Ware Ball above the River Exe, the boundary is defined only by an erosion gulley for almost 200 metres. The remainder of the boundary is visible as a bank up to six metres wide, heading in a northeastern direction towards Rams Combe. The Somerset HER [above, 1-5] describes the earthwork as standing 0.5 to 1.5 metres high, with a shallow ditch to the northwest side of the bank. The ditch is not clearly visible on the majority of the available aerial photographs but can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1960s as a possible cropmark. [1,6,7]
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4159-60.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/72-49 81/0018 (April 1972).
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33174, R McDonnell, 18 March 1983.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8040B.
- <5> SSO1384 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management…. 33 (site 205).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0164-5 (27 April 1964).
- <7>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #46144 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8078 4046 (291m by 562m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO413
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7023
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW109
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974808
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33174
Record last edited
Jun 17 2019 4:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.