MSO11010 - Post-medieval adit on south side of Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Adit cut into steep side of Sparcombe water. Entrance is 1 metre wide and 1.5 metres high with 0.5 metres of mud and stone. Passage aligned c.355 degrees.  Associated with other quarries along Orchard Bottom.  Second adit at SS 8171 4081.  This may or may not be the adit recorded by Jones as 7.2.3 in his report of 1995 (MEM24731), which he states is at SS 8164 4091.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33149, R. McDonnell, 11 January 1982. [Mapped features: #46146 ; #46147 ]
- <2> SSO1720 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. SS84SW.
- <3>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33149, Letter, ENP to Somerset County Council, 29 November 1983. [Mapped features: #46146 ; #46147 ]
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 74 (site 193).
- <5> SEM7068 Report: Exmoor Mines Research Group. 1995. Report on the safety condition of disused mine workings on lands owned by Exmoor National Park Department and other lands nearby. 7.2.3 p18-19.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 975045, Extant 13 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8167 4084 (70m by 70m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7050
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW134
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975045
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33149
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 10:34AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.