MSO10994 - Post-medieval peat cutting earthwork on Verney's Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Small low mound 4 paces diameter and 0.3 metres high. Possible round barrow.  The National Grid Reference cited by  falls on a broad flat topped ridge.The area is covered with amorphous undulations and shallow peat workings. Several slight mounds and hollows are visible, but nothing that resembles a prehistoric barrow.  No barrow was noted here during a walkover survey by Cornwall Council, but it is within an area of peat cuttings. It may be that the mound is related to this rather than a barrow.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SSO1082 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H. 1980. Eardley-Wilmot, H to Somerset County Council 1980 - site visit. [Mapped feature: #47552 ]
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1995.
- <3> SEM6823 Report: Kirkham, G. and Taylor, S.. 2008. Exmoor Mire Restoration Project: Archaeological Survey on Moorland Areas at Alderman's Barrow Allotment, Blackpitts-Exe Head, North Twitchen, Roosthitchen and Verney's Allotment. Cornwall County Council Historic Environment Service (Projects). p. 17-19.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 909017, Extant 25 September 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7770 3430 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6999
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE9
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 909017
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33133
Record last edited
Sep 25 2021 9:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.