MSO10993 - Medieval or post-medieval boundary stone at Coles Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Boundary stone mentioned "near a landmark called Coles Cross" in the 1815 forest perambulation. Is a large slab 1.4 metres by 0.6 metres lies in hedge line. Smaller one, possibly the stump, in front.  Centred at SS 7791 3399 is the stone referred to by . It is propped up against the field bank on the northern side of the road from Sandyway Cross to Long Holcombe. It lies on the western side of the "T" junction of field banks formed by the northern side of the hedged lane leading from the site of Coles Cross Farm (MSO11036) to the east. The stone which is on its side is roughly rectangular in shape and measures 1.5 metres by 0.65 metres and is 0.175 metres thick. There is no lettering on the stone, but an Ordnance Survey bench mark (now on its side) is visible showing that the stone was upright when used for this purpose. There are also two drilled holes through the stone, each is 4 centimetres in diameter and they are 0.35 metres apart. They suggest its possible use as a gatepost once located at the end of the lane to Coles Cross Farm. The base of the stone or "stump" refered to by  could not be found. It is not clear if this stone is the boundary stone referred to in 1815 (see ), or even if it is in its original position. Certainly no bench mark is shown on the 1st edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey mapping of 1890 () at this location. [3,4]
- <1> SSO1075 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H. 23.08.81. Eardley-Wilmot, H to Somerset County Council.
- <2> SSO1823 Article in serial: Rawle, E.J.. 1894. Final Perambulation of Exmoor Forest. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 40. 171-178.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
- <4>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1995. [Mapped feature: #46490 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7791 3399 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909015 (Pastscape entry: 909015)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6998
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909015
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33132
Record last edited
Feb 4 2020 1:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.