MSO10963 - Pound in Simonsbath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a pound in Simonsbath.  There was no trace of such a feature during field investigation. To the west are a group of cottages, one of which is called "Pound Cottage".  There is nothing in the Somerset Sites and Monuments Record to idicate the origin of this record.  "Pound Cottages" are annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. As the pound is not indicated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, it is implied that this feature was out of use by 1889. 
- <1> SSO469 Unassigned: Somerset County Council. Sites and Monuments Record File 33102.
- <2> SSO1869 Survey: RCHME. 1995. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 73 NW 25.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Webster, C. Somerset County Council. April 1998.
- <4> SEM7895 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889. 1st Edition Extract Map of Simonsbath.
|Grid reference||SS 773 392 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33102
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.