MSO10955 - Post-medieval leat and waterwheel on Honeymead Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Contour leat running from Clovenrocks Bridge to Honeymead Farm. Fed "power station" installed to provide electricity in 1941 and dismantled 1965. Overshot wheel built by John Brayley of Withypool.  A waterwheel and barn were noted in Sale Particulars of 1860 and a leat is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map of 1889. The leat runs from SS 7859 3968 to SS 7972 3922. [2-3] The remains of a possible post-medieval leat are visible as a ploughed out earthwork in a field south of Clovenrocks Bridge, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7867 3961, the leat, which appears to have been banked on its southern side, runs east-west following the contour of the slope above an unnamed tributary of White Water. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, indicating it was still in use at this point, but its precise function is uncertain. [3-5]
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33094.
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 91.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 45(6) Somerset XLV.6 Somerset XLV.6 Somerset XLV6.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1050-51 (29 April 1973).
- <5> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7914 3950 (1187m by 685m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099602 (Original Monarch entry: 1099602)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1486628 (Original Monarch entry: 1486628)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2900
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6919
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE103
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099602
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1486628
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33094
Record last edited
Jul 11 2018 9:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.