MSO10943 - Post-medieval catchwork gutter southwest of Warren Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
400 metres of contour leat broken at the stream Eeast of Warren Farm. The western section is slightly higher and may be a separate feature. Generally 0.5 metres wide with a low bank up to 0.4 metres high. Western end fades at road and eastern end ends at 19th Century field boundary which post dates the feature. [1-4] The leat described above is clearly visible as an earthwork on aerial photographhs, and is one of several recorded individually that is in fact part of the substantial water meadow system now recorded under MMO2354. [5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33082.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4156.
- <3> SSO245 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 79. 9282.
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 41-2 (site 231).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 134-136 (12 March 1995).
- <6> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1102008, Extant 31 May 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7972 4064 (247m by 177m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO616
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6912
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE62
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1102008
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33082
Record last edited
May 31 2021 10:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.