MSO10934 - Post-medieval pillow mound at Warren Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Low, round topped pillow mound 22 paces by 7 paces and 0.7 metres high lying obliquely across the slope west of Warren Farmhouse at SS 7935 4077. Cut by a leat on the down slope western end.  SS 794 407; SS 7941 4086 . At least four prominent pillow mounds have been located on the slopes south of Warren Farm, and are orientated north-south down the slope (see plan) similar to examples on Dartmoor. They are possibly of 16th or 17th century date and may have been accompanied, as on Dartmoor, by a warrener's house and outbuildings. There are possible remains of buildings at SS 794406 and of a pound at SS 792408. [5,6] A group of eight pillow mounds, centred at SS 7950 4065, on the south facing slopes of the Exe Valley below Warren Farm. The mounds are spread out along the valley side over a distance of 1 kilometre. They are all well defined, consisting of a linear mound, sometimes with flanking ditches. Half of the mounds lie across the contour (or run up-and-down the natural slope), the other half lie obliquely to the direction of the natural slope. All of the mounds are well preserved, although three of them have been cut through by later catchwater leats (MSO10939). The mounds cannot be precisely dated, although they are alleged to originate in the 16th or 17th Centuries. A group of earthwork platforms may represent the former Warrener's cottage (MSO10937). Mound 5. Centred at SS 7933 4077; it is 15.5 metres long, 6.2 metres wide and 0.4 metres high. It lies obliquely to the direction of the natural slope. It has been cut through by a leat or drain at its southern end. [7,8] This forms part of a warren which was likely created by James Boevey in the 17th Century. Around 10 pillow mounds were present, comprising low rectangular banks with shallow surrounding ditches.  The feature is depicted in a group of features labelled "Pillow Mounds"  The mound was transcribed from aerial photographs by the National Mapping Project. [11-13] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33073.
- <2> SSO245 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 79. 9282.
- <3> SSO416 Photograph: February 198. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.014.0088.
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 36 (site 215).
- <5> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 122 (1978), pp 27, 139.
- <6> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 127 (1983), p93.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 August 1994.
- <8> SMO5633 Technical drawing: Wilson-North, R. and Sainsbury, I.. 1994. Warren Farm/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <9> SEM7997 Monograph: Siraut, M.. Royal Forest, Exmoor: A guide to the Royal Forest of Exmoor. Exmoor National Park Authority. 28.
- <10>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #34052 ]
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 135-36 (12 March 1995).
- <12> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 167-68 (27 April 1964).
- <13> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <14> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35304, Extant 25 May 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7933 4077 (18m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35304 (Pastscape entry: 35304)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE37
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35304
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33073
Record last edited
May 25 2021 4:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.