MSO10896 - Broadbarrow stone at Roosthitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A stone is recorded at SS 7178 4002. There is no trace of this boundary stone on the ground. It is not depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 dated 1890.  In a perambulation of the bounds of the manor of Challacombe Regis, about 1658, bound points include `the greatest stone above the Broadbarrow'.  Point on the Parish and Forest boundary annotated `Stone on Broadbarrow'. . Boundary point named `Broadbarrow Stone'.  Broadbarrow stone marked on 6 inch Ordnance Survey map as being a boundary stone.  SS 71777 40021 The site of Broadbarrow Stone. In boundary perambulations of 1678 Broadburrough and Broadburrow are mentioned . A dot is shown annotated Broadbarrow Stone on the 1888 1:2500 survey  on the boundary between Devon and Somerset, which also marked the Challacombe/Exmoor Parish boundary and the boundary of the Forest of Exmoor. On the 1902 revision  it is also annotated (as "B.S."). It must have been moved sometime after this as it was not shown during the 1976 Ordnance Survey revision  and there is now no trace of it. An enclosure wall approaching from the west (i.e. the Devon side) ends abruptly on the County Boundary. The boundary stone may have been incorporated into the end of the wall and it could still be in situ; however nothing was seen to confirm this possibility. 
- <1> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 January 1989.
- <2> SMO5058 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1973. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. David and Charles Limited. Revised Edition. 360-1.
- <3> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <5> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 11(1).
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1902, Somerset 11(1).
- <8> SEM7737 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:2500. 1:25,000. Sheet SS 7140 (Unpublished Surveyors Field Sheet).
- <9> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
|Grid reference||SS 7177 4002 (point) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=871894 (Pastscape entry: 871894)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895576 (Pastscape entry: 895576)
- http://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/33035 (Somerset HER entry: 33035)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32755
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/116
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21218
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6961
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6987
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW77
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW89
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 871894
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 895576
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33035
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 9:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.