MSO10889 - Post-medieval leat east of Pinkworthy (or Pinkery) Pond (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Leat running along the east side of Pinkworthy pond and along small tributary to the northeast. Similar dimensions to the main canal (MSO6847) and not finished.  May be continuation of canal or collection leat for the pond.  Running down the east side of the pond is an embanked ditch and, from just southeast of the dam, a similar bank runs downhill towards the end of the canal. Although these features are similar in construction to the canal, and may be contemporary with it, they do not join up.  Drainage ditch approximately 1 metre wide and 0.5 metres deep, running roughly east to west into the northeast corner of Pinkworthy Pond.  This record and MSO10477 may have been confused by different contributors.  A fuller extent of the leat was assessed during a metric survey undertaken as part of the Exmoor Mires Project in 2012. 
- <1> SSO427 Unassigned: 26/1/2007. SMR file 33028.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset SMR, 15 November 1983.
- <3> SSO1828 Unassigned: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey.
- <4> SSO1170 Survey: Faxon, Keith. 1998. Record card from McDonnell, R. Pinkworthy Estate: An Archaeological Survey for Management Purpose. 27 September 1995.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Somerset Historic Environment Record, 26 January 2007.
- <6> SEM8056 Report: Riley, H.. 2012. Metric survey of Pinkery pond and its environs. 15.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7259 4236 (407m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33028
Record last edited
Feb 3 2021 11:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.