MSO10871 - Undated circular enclosure south of the Chains Valley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A circular mound with enclosing ditch at SS 745 413. [1,2] SS 745 413. The reference falls in an area of improved pasture at the southeast end of The Chains ridge. There is no trace of a mound or ditch in the vicinity. (This may be a (mis)reference to MSO6837, a ditched barrow only some 200 metres up the ridge to the north-north-east?) .  The above National Grid Reference does not correspond with that given in the Exmoor Aerial Photograph survey which lies at SS 7449 4118. The photograph appears to show a large (c80 metres across) sub circular enclosure showing as a cropmark rather than a mound. 
- <1> SSO240 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-167 Run 75. 7602.
- <2>XY SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7441. [Mapped feature: #46492 Original grid reference provided, ]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 May 1995.
- <4>XY SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Somerset Historic Environment Record, December 1997. [Mapped feature: #46491 Aerial photograph survey location, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7449 4124 (10m by 120m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895565 (Pastscape entry: 895565)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6981
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW70
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 895565
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33009
Record last edited
Oct 7 2020 12:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.