MSO10866 - Undated circular mound at Titchcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Small mound enclosed by a circular bank at SS 7460 4084. [1,2] SS7460 4084. The reference falls on fairly steeply sloping ground in an enclosed field. The field is generally pasture although this area is reverting back to rough grass. There is no trace of any mound. Near the reference a spring issues and the surrounding area of darker lusher vegetation may have been misinterpreted as a mound. No Survey Action.  The above National Grid Reference does not correspond with that given by the Exmoor Aerial Photographic survey map and should be SS 7470 4082. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3152.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7440B. [Mapped feature: #46494 Original (?incorrect) grid reference, ]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 May 1995.
- <4>XY SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Somerset Historic Environment record, December 1997. [Mapped feature: #46493 Correct(?) grid reference, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7465 4083 (100m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895564 (Pastscape entry: 895564)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6980
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW69
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 895564
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33004
Record last edited
Feb 4 2020 2:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.