MSO10865 - Possible undated mound at Titchcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Large circular mound.  May be a field clearance mound.  SS 7442 4065. A large circular mound seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs . Dennison  thought it may be a field clearance heap. SS 7442 4065. The reference falls on gently sloping ground in an enclosed pasture field. There is no trace of any mound. Near to the reference is a slightly rough area of ground, possibly an old dried up spring source, which may have been misinterpreted as a mound.  1971 aerial photograph appears to show this spring being piped away to the southwest. [5,6]
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3152.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7440C.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 25 March 1984.
- <4>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 May 1995. [Mapped feature: #46495 ]
- <5> SSO233 Aerial photograph: 5 Sept 1971. HSL UK 71 167 Run 75. 7602.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Somerset Historic Environment Record, December 1997.
|Grid reference||SS 7442 4065 (point)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895563 (Pastscape entry: 895563)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6979
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW68
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 895563
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33003
Record last edited
Feb 4 2020 2:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.