MSO10833 - Weir Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Road bridge over River Exe. Mid C19. Random rubble local stone, dressed voussoirs, Ham stone saddleback coping. Single arch span, 4-centred arch opening, north front (upstream) pointed, stepped cutwaters, south front square, stepped cutwater with chamfered top and section of stone work above giving impression of plinth on column; parapets swept back and terminating in circular piers, string course omega-shaped in cross section. Probably part of the Pixton Park (qv) estate.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 429208. First Listed on 4 August 1986.  Stone, Random rubble walls.  The bridge was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  A bridge is shown in this location on the Tithe Map for Kings Brompton (Brompton Regis) and labelled "Ware Bridge".  The bridge is depicted and labelled "Weir Bridge" on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [6,7]
- <1> SSO59 Index: 4/8/1986. 36th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park..
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9353 2676 (16m by 10m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1648/9/59
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31390
Record last edited
Mar 24 2021 10:12AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.