MSO10774 - Edbrooke Packhorse Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Packhorse bridge over River Exe. Possibly medieval in origin, rebuilt C18. Local stone random rubble, rubble voussoirs, slate coping. Two arch span, semicircular arches, small cutwater on upstream side only, probably pebble pavement to narrow pathway. The road to Winsford passed over the bridge until the new turnpike road was cut in 1824.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265556. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Stone, Random rubble walls.  MSO12556 contained an entry that this bridge was a "Reinforced concrete slab bridge built in 1926 and designed by Edward Stead, County Surveyor. Bridge has stringcourse and level coping.The bridge is 6 feet in span".  This appears to be in error.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park. DOE(HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somer 2.1.86 76.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SSO1209 Monograph: Greenfield, D.. 1998. Somerset's Early Reinforced Concrete Bridges.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove 20/12/2012.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9117 3420 (19m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36720 (Original Monarch entry: 36720)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/19/142
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12556
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8546
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW10
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36720
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31274
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35763
Record last edited
May 27 2014 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.