MSO10724 - 1-5 Sydenham Close, Bossington Lane, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Removed from List.  Terrace. Circa 1930. For Somerset County Council. Rendered over rubble, West Somerset slate roof, roughcast stacks gable ends and flanking centre. Plan: 4 dwellings, 3-cell, and 2-cell and cross passage. Two storeys, 1:1:4:1:1 bays; penultimate outer bays gabled and breaking forward with entrances on outer returns, 12 and 16-pane sash windows, tripartite 12-pane windows in gables, plank doors between third and fourth and first and sixth bays and outer return left, C20 inserted door on right gable outer return. A good example of a well composed and detailed piece of local authority interwar housing continuing the traditions of the Arts and Crafts.  3-cell plan. Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  The Ordnance Survey map from 1930-1 (revising the 2nd Edition map) shows this building as a coastguard station. 
- <1> SSO70 Index: 19/1/1995. 8th amendment of 35th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1930/31.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8940 4748 (34m by 28m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10430
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19376
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31220
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.