MSO10712 - Rose Cottage, Bossington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cottage in row. C18-C19. Slobbered rubble, triple ridge tiles, stone stack left. Plan: 2-cell and cross passage. One and a half storeys, 2 bays; 2-light leaded casements to left, ground floor 2-light casement left, 4-light ogee-headed leaded casements right of central plank door, triple ridge tile pentice porch. Abuts Rose Cottage (qv) to left, evidence that pitch of roof lowered on wall of Rose Cottage adjoining; Wayside (qv) to right. Primarily listed for group value. (National Trust Estate No 5). (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265493. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  The building was mentioned in the 2003 Conservation Area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch, which states "There is a larger listed group, which includes Dunkery View, Rose Cottage and Wayside to the NW and Walnut Tree Cottage to the SE. The former are a curving terrace of three, on an intimate scale, and dating from the 18th to 19th century. Openings follow local traditional patterns, and include one four light casement window with ogee-heads and leaded lights, and plank and ledged doors."  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p11, 14.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 897 479 (8m by 9m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA137723 (National Trust HER entry: MNA137723)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/22/79
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA137723
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31208
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 2:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.