MSO10467 - Post-medieval peat cutting southeast of Pinkworthy Pond (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible quarry to the southeast of Pinkworthy Pond is in an area approximately 60 metres long, 25 metres wide and up to 1.5 metres deep at the back edge. It is molinia covered with rushes growing in the base.  An area of peat cutting of probable pre-19th Century date was identified by (see source below). This was previously identified as a possible quarry. The area of the peat cutting is larger in size than that previously recorded as a possible quarry.  An area of peat cutting lies to the southeast of Pinkworthy (or Pinkery) Pond dam (MEM22686). It measures 200 metres northwest-southeast, 300 metres northeast-southwest and is up to 1 metre deep. It is cut by the leat (MSO10477) and the enclosure bank (Mires reference ECH12(129)) runs over it, indicating a date in the post-medieval period before the 19th Century. Peat cutting on the Forest and Commons of Exmoor dates from at least the 13th Century, but these remains probably date from the post-medieval period. [3, 4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SSO1170 Survey: Faxon, Keith. 1998. Record card from McDonnell, R. Pinkworthy Estate: An Archaeological Survey for Management Purpose. 27/9/1995.
- <2> SEM8055 Report: Bray, L.. The Chains walkover survey.
- <3> SEM8056 Report: Riley, H.. 2012. Metric survey of Pinkery pond and its environs. 16.
- <4> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 90.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7235 4219 (76m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument): ECH12(102)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 22792
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 3:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.