MSO10446 - Edbrooke House, Edbrooke, Winsford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
T-shaped rubble built farmhouse. The house has a cross passage and is pre 17th Century in orgin. The house consists of a medieval hall house and the 17th Century incorporation of a byre.  One of the two oldest houses in Winsford (the other is Karslake House). It was built in about 1465 as a longhouse, with the part to the right of the front door used for family accommodation and that to the left for farm animals. A new wing was added to the rear of the house about 100 years later. The property originally belonged to the Sandford family, who had their main property at Nynehead Court. At one time Edbrooke was known as Brooke Sandford. It was later bought by the Gorges family and sold by Ferdinando Gorges to the Lyddon family in 1640, who remained there for 200 years. It then passed to the Bale family as tenants of the present Miltons Estate. The house and immediately surrounding land, including Rookery Wood, was bought in 1971 by Captain and Mrs Godsal.  The house is shown on the Winsford Tithe Map and labelled together with various outbuildings as part of land parcel 809, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "House Barton…Garden etc", owned and occupied by Robert Lyddon.  The Lyddon family lived at Edbrooke and are first mentioned at Winsford in 1561. A reference in 1665 states that the demesne of Edbrooke (otherwise known as Brooke Sandford Tenement) was purchased from John Sanford by Thomas Gorges, who is recorded later to have lived in Heavitree, Devon. His son, Ferinando Gorges of Eye, Hereford, sold Edbrooke in 1670/1 on a 99 year lease to William Liddon and in 1680 William's son Robert Liddon purchased the freehold. The Lyddons sold Edbrooke in 1894. 
- <1> SSO1189 Unassigned: Gilson, R. 01/1980. Vernacular Architecture Group.
- <2> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 28-29.
- <3> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 809.
- <4> SEM8811 Article in serial: Dicker, W.. 1900. Notes on the History of Winsford. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 46. pp 188-195. 194-5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9113 3420 (22m by 22m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524727 (Original Monarch entry: 524727)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8548
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW117
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524727
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19423
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 9:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.