MSO10432 - Kennels, Holnicote House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
'Kennels' shown on Ordnance Survey map of circa 1904. Extant on recent map.  The kennels were built in the 18th Century to house the hunting hounds. The building was converted into a bungalow, with the addition of a porch and extra wing, in 1937 by Richard Acland.  The kennels are shown on the 1809-12 Holnicote Estate Map but is not known exactly when they were built. When the kennels were converted a porch, store and south wing were added. The building is L shaped and single storey. The building is rubble stone, limewashed, with aquared stones in the quions which are a mix of red and grey sandstone and lias. The property has stone walls around the garden. The garden shed has roof tiles which are likely to be 18th Century in date. The report contains a copy of the contract for the work to be carried out to convert the kennels to a cottage.  The kennels and associated infrastructure are not depicted on the Tithe Map for Selworthy. It is not clear whether the building was not present or if this is simply an omission from the map.  The Kennels are depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data.  "Kennels" are shown on 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SSO1583 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2005. Landline Information.
- <3> SEM6872 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 1. P. 12.
- <4> SEM6873 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 2. 115141, P. 42-3.
- <5> SEM7838 Report: National Trust. 1995. Vernacular Building Survey: The Kennels, Holnicote.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <8>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46838 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9132 4609 (33m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19378
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.