MSO10419 - Undated mound on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
K. Within the field system MSO9203 is an oval mound 9.5 metres north to south by 8.5 metres east to west and 0.3 to 0.8 metres high. It seems to be turf-covered earth and stone, built onto a steep natural slope. The mound is flat topped. Its function is uncertain. [1-3] The feature was not visible on aerial photographs available to the National Mapping Project. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, F1, 22 October 1987.
- <2> SMO5432 Technical drawing: Pattison, P.. 1988. Codsend Moor Part 3/ink survey . 1:1250. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO6274 Collection: Pattison, P., Quinnell, N.V., Fletcher, M. and Sainsbury, I.. 1987-1988. RCHME: Exmoor Pilot Survey, SS 84 SE, Somerset.
- <4> SSO1779 Article in monograph: Pattison, P and Sainsbury, I. 1989. Prehistoric Earthworks on Codsend and Hoar Moors, Somerset. From Cornwall to Caithness: Some Aspects of British Field Archaeology. Archaeopress. Bowden, M. et. al..
- <5> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36181, Extant 16 March 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8862 4037 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36181 (Original Monarch entry: 36181)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36181
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19356
Record last edited
Mar 16 2022 10:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.