MSO10418 - Possible hut circle or pound on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
At SS 8871 4047, within field system MSO10407 is a small enclosure or hut "circle". In shape this feature is oval, or more properly described as rectangular with rounded corners. It has very loose, rubble walls of small and medium size local sandstone (0.10 to 0.20 metres diameter) c. 2 metres wide and up to 0.6 metres high. There is a clear entrance gap 2 metres wide at the south corner. The interior is cut into the slope to form a more level area and there is a considerable amount of scattered stone within. Overall dimensions are c. 16 metres by 13 metres. It is difficult to imagine this feature supporting a structure; it seems more akin to a small, walled pound. [1-3] The structure is visible on aerial photographs. [4-8] The NMP survey suggests that MSO10417 is located at SS 8871 4047. It may have been mistaken for this monument. 
- <1> SSO617 Map: 5/10/1988. SS84SE Site visit. 87.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 963-4 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 76048 068 14125 (June 1976).
- <4> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 F20 4271-2 (11 April 1947).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA 2247-8 (1982).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8840/3 (15856/15) (20 January 1998).
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8840/4 (18242/20) (10 February 1999).
- <9> SSO1779 Article in monograph: Pattison, P and Sainsbury, I. 1989. Prehistoric Earthworks on Codsend and Hoar Moors, Somerset. From Cornwall to Caithness: Some Aspects of British Field Archaeology. Archaeopress. Bowden, M. et. al..
- <10> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove, 19 September 2013.
|Grid reference||SS 8871 4047 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36181 (Original Monarch entry: 36181)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36181
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19355
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.